Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Time of Grace; Chapter 1


I hold my chin in one hand, deciding. Should my party theme be a cheerleading squad, or first class hotel from the 1900s? Mom was the one who suggested the first class thing after she read what she said to be “a wonderful book, you just want to live inside it”. Mom and Dad certainly can’t believe that I could make such a decision in one or two minutes, could they?

“Well, we don’t have all day,” Dad says impatiently.

I sigh and say, “Do people in the 1900s wear make-up?”

Mom nods slowly.

I take another deep breath and say, “Fine. But only for this year. Next year, I am totally going for cheerleading squad theme.” I get up from my chair and turn around.

“Grace, who are you inviting?” Dad calls out.

I take a list out of my pocket, already prepared. I hand it to him, saying, “All of the popular girls at school.”

Dad raises an eyebrow, “Just the popular girls? What about the other girls? And your friend, Lilly?”

“Dad,” I sigh, “In school, you have to make a good impression. Like, there’s a popularity bar. If you’re near the top, you can’t just do anything to go to the bottom. It’ll make you look….” I rack my brain for a word, “weird.”

In the silence that follows, I leave the kitchen and go up the stairs. I hear my dad said, “I think we may need to get her homeschooled.”

I ignore the comment, and I go to my room. Closing the door, I look around my neat room. I have a make-up dresser on the opposite side of my bed, with a mirror above it. I look at myself through the mirror once before changing into my pajamas. I fall onto my bed, closing my eyes. Tomorrow, I’m going to start sending out invitations. And at my party, everyone will marvel at how beautiful I look.

No comments:

Post a Comment