Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Girl Of Her Dreams: Part of Chapter 2


Chapter 2

In the middle of October 4th, we were eating when Kuya Jonathan brings it up.

“Hey, Emily, are you still planning to write a book?” he asks.

I nod slowly, “Yes…”

“Well, there’s this kind of competition, called NaNoWriMo. You write a novel in one month.”

“Well…isn’t it kind of hard?” I ask, even though I’m relishing the thought of a challenge.

“That’s the point. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to. But I’m doing it, just to let you know,” he says, rising up from the table.

“No, no, wait! I really, really want to do this! I mean, I probably would finally be able to write a book!” I say, my voice growing excited.

“Okay, just go on the internet, and go to the website,” then Kuya Jonathan leaves.

I sit there for a few minutes, still deciding. Then I put my plate in the sink and ran up the stairs. Instead of going to my room as I usually do, I go into the toy room, which, as always, has boxes of toys, but three computers in it. I sit in a chair and wait for the computer to start up. While waiting, I think over my ideas for books.

The computer finally stops thinking, so I go on the internet and look up NaNoWriMo, though I accidently spell it nanoremo.

Going through the results, I go to the National Novel Writing Month website, guessing that it’s what Kuya Jonathan was talking about. Reading through everything there, I feel a smile on my lips. I stop suddenly, wondering why I was smiling.

I click the icon saying “Start Here!” and I fill in everything. But only then until I reach a checkbox saying “I am at least of 13 years of age”. I was about to click it, ignoring that one rule, when I stopped. When I publish my book, or books, I won’t be able to hide that one secret, unlike all the others. So I try to submit it, but it wouldn’t allow me.

I feel the tears build up, and then I’m immediately angry at myself. Why was I crying over this small little thing? I guess I placed too much hope in it. I placed too much hope in having something to do other than mope around all day.

I promise myself that I’ll try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment